Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Timing

Many of my colleagues that have made an international transfer have given the same warning:

“It will go fast.”

How they speak the truth.

This debacle started in December with the mere suggestion that one phone call could get me to France. This news was a bit flooring (few have the luck to get an overseas assignment). After accepting and going through the process, it was February. Many things have happened: negotiations, moving companies, transitions at work, meeting up “for the last time”, property listings, and taking an inventory of everything important in my life.

Wednesday or Thursday my visa should arrive (maybe another story?). Friday, the plane departs for Paris. Saturday and Sunday I discover a new time zone and Monday work begins. I get weird looks for taking such a short path, with not too much time to complete everything. Tasks expand in perceived complexity as the timeframe extends. Apparently, my journey is beginning to look like evidence in favor of this statement. I do not have much time to stew about everything to accomplish.

Simply, I must accomplish.

This experience is a good lesson. Though, tight timelines can be stressful if you are punctual, they can also get you to accomplish more. Once you start making progress, the successes are encouraging. And nothing better to get you started then having to start. Necessity is the mother of invention. Invention must also have a brother, initiative.

Speaking of, time to get packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment