Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cleanliness

On a particularly easy to guess website where you shop for roommates you are asked what level of cleanliness you maintain. If memory has not failed me, it is something around dirty, moderate, and neat freak. When you are showing your condo, you must enter the neat freak.

Being a neat freak is not bad if you were born with the appropriate neural pathways. As an added bonus, there is no major known moral obligation to shed your orderly ways. Neat freak, I salute you. Someone has to be this way, and thankfully it is you.

This is good, because it is not me.

Now, however, I must reach the Zen-like state of constant attention to detail. No more may my work bag carelessly sleep on the couch. Gone are the days of having a dirty dish in the sink. Unfolded laundry?! Inexistent.

For someone without the neural wiring of a neat freak this constant attention to detail is rough. It is a new job to learn. It is time out of the day better spent doing the things I talked about last post. Worse, it is plain not fun.

On the other had, there is a certain pleasure to coming home to an absolutely clean house. This feeling is new and it is helping me understand some of the neat freaks I know a bit better. In fact, there may even be hope of conversion.

But don’t hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment